It’s easy to begin a new year focusing on all the things you want to change… healthier body, less stress, and an improved work-life balance. Now is the time to take a minute to focus on the progress you made last year and then challenge yourself to set the bar a little higher for 2016. If you want to feel less stressed, now is the time to focus on your mental well-being, maybe you are tired of how you feel in your body, so it might be good to try some supplements that assist with lean muscle gain, or if work really is getting to you, a career change might be the way forward? Whatever it is, NOW definitely is the time for you to take charge.
As we kick off the New Year, I wanted to share five of my favorite mantras for 2016. And remember, even small tweaks to your routines can have a big impact.
- Progress not Perfection – No one is perfect, we all have off days. There is never the perfect time, the perfect project, the perfect situation. Sometimes just getting out there and getting in the game is better than not. The key is to take consistent action and if you can get the job done even when you haven’t maximized your potential, that’s a testament to your skills. Don’t beat yourself up striving for perfection, focus on the progress you’ve made and you find yourself far more fulfilled!
- Love the list – You take notes all day – in your meeting, your schedule and even your fitness tracker. But, do you ever take notes and track your achievements? Now is the time to see how far you have come and how much work you’ve done. And, on those days that you are not feeling like you are accomplishing anything, pull out that list of awesomeness and remind yourself of all the effort you’ve put in – especially before you go into that important meeting or presentation.
- Shake it off – Sometimes things done go as planned and you don’t get the results you want. But, for most people disappointment isn’t the problem. The problem is what happens next –quitting. Think about it this way, disappointment is necessary for success. Without at least trying something new, you don’t learn. The best advice I have received about disappointment is to learn from it, shake it off and move forward.
- Be Curious – As children we are naturally curious, it is how we learn. Unfortunately, as we grow up that curiosity and sense of wonder seems to escape us. It shouldn’t. Curiosity helps us ask questions and search for answers. As long as you’re not a cat, you will benefit from behaving like a curious person and remember there is no such thing as a dumb question
- Quiet down – You know the little voice that offers a running commentary when you are listening to someone? The little voice that keeps you from listening to all the information you need to know. Now is the time to focus less on what you are saying to yourself and instead focus on the speaker. The more you listen you may be surprised at what you hear and learn.
What do you think? Do you have any other important mantras for 2016? Share them below!